5 things to watch: Detroit Lions minicamp: https://www.detroitlions.com/news/5-things-to-watch-detroit-lions-minicamp-arnold-hutchinson-laporta
Hutchinson talks defensive mindset heading into 2024 season: https://www.detroitlions.com/news/hutchinson-talks-defensive-mindset-heading-into-2024-season
Kerby Joseph firmly in the top 10 in these NFL safety rankings: https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2024/06/03/kerby-joseph-nfl-safety-rankings-touchdown-wire-detroit-lions/
NFC North watch: Justin Jefferson signs a 4-year extension with the Vikings: https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2024/06/03/nfc-north-watch-justin-jefferson-record-contract-extension-vikings/
Brady Quinn on the Lions: 'I love everything they've done this offseason': https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2024/06/03/brady-quinn-detroit-lions-offseason-love-hype/
Lions looking for Jahmyr Gibbs to 'go to that next level' as a receiver: https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2024/06/02/lions-jahmyr-gibbs-next-level-as-receiver-scottie-montgomery/
All 32 teams (including the Lions) ranked by their Relative Athletic Score: https://lionswire.usatoday.com/lists/all-32-teams-including-the-lions-ranked-by-their-relative-athletic-score/
How Lions Benefit From Justin Jefferson's Contract Extension: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/how-lions-benefit-justin-jefferson-contract-extension-
Sione Vaki Sold Lions on Honesty, Intelligence: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/sione-vaki-sold-lions-on-honesty-intelligence
Burning Questions: How Will Lions Use David Montgomery?: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/burning-questions-how-will-lions-use-david-montgomery
Detroit Lions 2024 Pre-Minicamp Depth Chart: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/detroit-lions-2024-pre-minicamp-depth-chart
Ben Johnson: 'Third Quarter Was Not Good Enough for Us': https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/ben-johnson-third-quarter-not-good-enough
15 Players to Watch at Lions Mandatory Minicamp: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/players-to-watch-lions-mandatory-minicamp
Lions Post-June 1 Salary Cap Update: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/lions-post-june-1-salary-cap-update
Alex Anzalone Listed as Lions Most Overlooked Player: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/alex-anzalone-listed-as-lions-most-overlooked-player
Lions' 2024 Roster Bubble: Linebackers: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/lions-2024-roster-bubble-linebackers
Roundtable: Is Jahmyr Gibbs Underrated? https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/roundtable-is-jahmyr-gibbs-underrated
5 Storylines to Watch During Lions' 2024 Minicamp: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/storylines-to-watch-lions-2024-minicamp
Brodric Martin getting help from 2 Detroit Lions newcomers: https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2024/6/3/24170302/brodric-martin-getting-help-from-2-detroit-lions-newcomers
Ben Johnson responds to ‘false narratives’ reported during head coach search: https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2024/6/2/24169791/ben-johnson-responds-false-narratives-reported-during-head-coach-search
Detroit 'poised to secure' NBA All-Star Game, and bring back NFL Draft: 'We're out chasing events': https://www.audacy.com/971theticket/sports/detroit-lions/detroit-eyeing-nba-all-star-game-and-another-nfl-draft
Hendon Hooker is "getting there" for Lions, with still a ways to go: https://www.audacy.com/971theticket/sports/detroit-lions/detroit-lions-hendon-hooker-is-getting-there-albeit-slowly
The Real Winners in the Justin Jefferson Deal: Eagles, Dolphins, Lions and Texans (Give Ben Johnson credit for not tiptoeing around the elephant in the room. The Lions’ offensive coordinator knows what people—not just outside the NFL, but with teams, too—thought of how his candidacy for head coaching jobs, and Washington’s in particular, went last year. He also could’ve sidestepped the whole thing altogether, and a lot of guys would have, in his first media availability of the offseason. Instead, he opened a vein. And in doing so, he expressed feelings a lot coaches have but won’t make public. “Something that really resonates with me is, O.K., eight openings this past year—what would you set the over/under at in three years? How many still have jobs?” he said last week. “Shoot, I’d put the over/under at 4.5. I’d say there’s a good chance five of them are out of jobs in three years. And so, when I look at it from that perspective, if I get the opportunity to go down that road, it’s about how do I get to that second contract, how do I set myself up when the stars need to align? “I’m not gonna do it just to do it. I love what I’m doing right now—love it. I love where I’m at, my family loves where we’re at, love the people we’re doing it with. So I’m not willing to go down the other path yet, unless I feel really good about how it’s going to unfold.” Then, he dove into more specifics. “It's ownership, it’s staff, it’s my vision of how I can make it work with how I am,” he said. “Part of me, too, I love play-calling. And so if I took a head-coaching job, I’d want to be a play-calling head coach. Well, there’s only so much time during the week. So what’s it going to look like Monday through Sunday in that regard? I just want to make sure everything’s nailed down. And listen, there’s an adjustment period for everybody that takes that job. They’re learning on the fly. “But I think the more that you have set, and feel good about, that gives you the best chance.” Now, on one hand, jobs come open for a reason, and it’s usually not because everything is ideal and set up for the next head coach. Obviously. That said, what it seems to me like Johnson is saying is that, seeing the infrastructure and synergy that the Lions have created, has convinced him about the importance of having the right people and fit around him. Which means having people around him so he can do his job the way he needs to in order to win (with play-calling being a part of that). The risk, of course, is that your name doesn’t stay hot forever, and you can only say no so many times. But it’s pretty clear now that the stability and comfort level he has in Detroit has made that a risk worth taking.): https://www.si.com/nfl/real-winners-justin-jefferson-deal-eagles-dolphins-lions-and-texans-takeaways
2024 NFL season: Most likely to win first Super Bowl? Ranking 12 teams that lack Lombardi Trophy (1. Detroit Lions - The Lions were the proverbial "team on the rise" one year ago, entering last season with plenty of hope but also lingering questions. They’d finished the 2022 season on a tear, winning eight of their final 10 games, but that came after a 1-6 start. Detroit’s years of football misery didn’t help the outlook. What followed was one of the greatest seasons in franchise history, with the Lions rolling all the way to the NFC Championship Game, where they were in the driver’s seat … before they weren’t. Where the Lions go from here will be fascinating. They’re undeniably one of the more talented young teams in the NFL. But do they possess that championship quality? Jared Goff is coming off his two best seasons and was great in the playoffs, leading to a four-year, $212 million extension in May. Offensive coordinator Ben Johnson is back calling plays. Newly extended WR Amon-Ra St. Brown, TE Sam LaPorta and a slew of young, capable playmakers return, as does one of the best offensive lines in football. That side of the ball is in great shape, befitting a championship-caliber unit. Whether Detroit can finally break through to its first Super Bowl likely depends on what strides the defense can make. Aaron Glenn's group stopped the run beautifully last season but was a sieve versus the pass, also failing to pressure quarterbacks consistently enough. When Detroit’s defense sagged down the stretch, it put additional pressure on the offense to be exceptional. There’s tangible hope that the secondary is in better shape with the cornerback additions of veteran Carlton Davis and rookies Terrion Arnold and Ennis Rakestraw Jr., but losing CB Cameron Sutton and safety C.J. Gardner-Johnson makes this a young group. The front seven features pretty good talent and depth, but improvement will be mostly contingent on returning players improving from within. With the Goff-led offense, an improved defense and the ultra-aggressive Dan Campbell making the calls, Detroit is one of the most dangerous teams in football, even in what appears to be a highly competitive NFC North. With that comes added pressure, and the Lions won’t sneak up on anyone this season. Whether they can win it all this year remains the biggest question. No doubt, they’re close.): https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-season-most-likely-to-win-first-super-bowl-ranking-12-teams-that-lack-lombardi-trophy
Sleeper NFC rookies who could shine in 2024 (Detroit Lions - DT Mekhi Wingo. Drafted: No. 189, sixth round. Impressive stat to know: 40-yard dash in the 93rd percentile and 10-yard split in the 95th percentile among defensive tackles. Everything has been coming up "LIONS" lately, and rightfully so. However, I didn't love their draft. Didn't hate it. But wasn't obsessed with it like I was in 2023. Which is part of the reason why I'm selecting a sixth-rounder here. And, frankly, given the strength of Detroit's roster, it'll be a real task for any rookie to break through as a critical contributor in Year 1. But Wingo has a real chance to. Why? Because he gives the Lions something they don't really have elsewhere. A juice-based upfield rusher on the interior. Alim McNeill and D.J. Reader are two colossals who will devour running backs on a regular basis. Wingo can split gaps and disrupt backfields with first-step quicks and sheer athleticism.): https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfc-rookies-picked-after-nfl-draft-day-1-who-could-earn-key-roles-in-2024-marshawn-lloyd-among-16-sleepers/
Projecting all 32 NFL starting lineups ahead of the 2024 season: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-projecting-all-32-nfl-starting-lineups-ahead-of-the-2024-season
PFF Cornerback Rankings: Top 32 ahead of the 2024 NFL season (13. BRIAN BRANCH, DETROIT LIONS - Branch made his presence known on the opening night of the 2023 season by taking an interception to the house. While he had some of the year rookie-year ups and downs, his overall play in 2023 was exceptional for a first-year player. He finished with a 77.7 coverage grade and had the seventh-best season by the advanced metrics. The Lions drafted themselves a steal in the second round of the 2023 draft.): https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-cornerback-rankings-top-32-ahead-of-the-2024-nfl-season
PFF Safety Rankings: Top 32 ahead of the 2024 NFL season: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-safety-rankings-top-32-2024-nfl-season
Detroit analyst offers absurd take on Justin Jefferson contract extension: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/minnesota-vikings/news/analyst-absurd-take-justin-jefferson-contract-extension/1bbd8cd456169f53c3b4d0d0
Detroit Lions 53-man roster projection ahead of mandatory minicamp: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/detroit-lions-53-man-roster-projection-mandatory-minicamp/bca47540de355a7c3cb4698e
Will Detroit Lions gain cap space from post-June 1 cut of Cameron Sutton?: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/detroit-lions-cap-space-june-cut-cameron-sutton/3bb376cff95cce4fae4adac2
Detroit Lions may get infusion of cap space as calendar turns to June: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/detroit-lions-cap-space-infusion-june/adf558f02f17b08cca35eb13
Detroit Lions' biggest X-factors going into 2024 NFL season: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/detroit-lions-x-factors-2024-nfl-season/92b7c72f9d73e0f9a0bdf630
Video:
Watch: Video notebook recap of Lions OTAs: https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2024/06/01/watch-video-notebook-recap-of-lions-otas-detroit-lions-podcast/
No comments:
Post a Comment